Sunday, June 21, 2009

My First Virginian Rant

Great people seem to get a lot out of writing about their experiences. They write better than I but I am going to give it a shot.

God bless America! I'm currently spending a Summer on an internship in Virginia and I have made a couple of sight seeing excursions in the last couple of weeks. Did you know that the key to the Prison of the Bastille hangs in an original case in George Washington's original entry way at Mount Vernon? The Marquee de Lafayette gave it to Washington when he was put in charge of demolishing the prison. The whole world saw America's new liberty as their own hope for a new birth of freedom.

Walking around Mount Vernon leaves no wonder why Washington was always so anxious to get back to the place. His mansion has a stunning view of the Potowmac River. Its also no wonder that he wanted to be buried there. Near his tomb is engraved, "I am the resurrection and the life, he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." I am particularly fond of this scripture at the moment because of Charled Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. I felt honored to pay my respects to the great founder of our nation.

We next paid honor to the men and women who fought to make the dreams of men like Washington a reality. Arlington National Cemetery was beautiful. The headstones continue as far as the eye can see in every direction. Each ston representing another man or woman who willingly put themselves in harms way for the country. The tomb of the Uknown soldier was touching and a little tear jerking. We were lucky enough to see not only the changing of the guard but the changing of the wreath in front. Taps was played as the retired the old one. It reminded me of my Great Uncle's burial. Taps was played for him in honor of his military service. What an honor to be remembered by a country as great and free as ours! I hope sites like Arlington and Mount Vernon are always over-crowded.

Yesterday I went to the National Cathedral. Recently, and I can't cite this as well as I should, I heard that many in the Middle East see the west as being overly secular. While I think that is becoming more and more true, that cathedral stands as a reminder of what this nation was built on. Morality, belief, faith, hope, and liberty. It's a beautiful cathedral, built in the 20th century in the gothic style of the 15th century. From the outside you'd never guess that it was a modern building. Unless, of course, you were to check out the stain glass windows. The artists depiction of outer space with a moon rock to complete the display might give it away. President Wilson is burried there and they have daily prayer services. It is to be "A place of prayer for all people." I hope many prayers will ascend from its walls on behalf of our great nation.

Yesterday evening we went to the Smithsonian Zoological Park. It's free, except the parking. $10 for the first hour, $15 for two, and $20 for more. The pandas were hiding but we did see a bird that seemed to illustrated perfectly the Book of Mormon phrase, "puffed up." It doesn't like any kind of company and when it gets irritated it puffs out it's chest and throat and makes a deep drum sound. It sounds like a timpani.

Its almost time for church and we are making a picnic for dinner afterwards. We will be eating it at the park near the DC temple and then going to the visitors center to see a display about the heavens. It consists of pictures taken by the Hubble. Life is good!

No comments: